In recent years, the flying car industry has seen several developments. VTOL aircraft are designed to take off and land like helicopters, but are capable of flying like planes. Some companies are working on developing VTOL aircraft. In addition, some companies are working on hybrid aircraft that can drive on the ground as well as fly. AeroMobil, PAL-V, Terrafugia, Urban Aeronautics, and Vertical Aerospace are some examples of companies working on flying cars.
Electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft are one of the most notable recent developments in the flying car industry. Electric motors power these aircraft, which are designed to be more environmentally friendly than traditional aircraft. Additionally, they may be cheaper to operate and quieter.
The flying car industry is still in its infancy, and these vehicles won’t be widely available for commercial use for several years. It is expected that flying cars will become a viable transportation option for some people as companies and researchers develop and test prototypes.
Electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft are the basis of EVE Air Mobility’s flying taxi service. Tel Aviv, Israel-based company founded in 2019. A new network of eVTOL aircraft will be available for urban air mobility by EVE Air Mobility, according to its website.
In addition to conducting test flights of its prototypes, the company is currently developing and testing its flying taxi service. A number of companies and organizations have also partnered with Eve Air Mobility, including Urban Aeronautics, an Israeli aerospace company, and the Israel Innovation Authority.
As the development of this technology is still in its infancy, it is not yet clear when EVE Air Mobility’s flying taxi service will be available to the public. It states on its website, however, that the company is preparing to launch its service shortly.
The development of flying cars or related technologies is currently being work on by several companies. Several examples follow:
- The AeroMobil 5.0 is being developed by a Slovakian company AeroMobil. In the air, the vehicle has a range of 500 kilometers and can drive on roads.
- The PAL-V Liberty is a hybrid aircraft being developed by the Dutch company PAL-V. With a range of 1,300 kilometers when flying, the vehicle can drive on roads and fly through the air.
- The Transition is a hybrid aircraft that can drive on roads while flying in the air, developed by Terrafugia, a Chinese company.
- VTOL aircraft are being developed for both military and civilian use by Urban Aeronautics, an Israeli company. For search and rescue missions, they developed the Cormorant, a drone-like VTOL aircraft.
- Vertical Aerospace: Vertical Aerospace develops short-haul and long-haul eVTOL aircraft for short- and long-haul flights. VA-1X carries up to four passengers and has a range of up to 160 kilometers, according to the company’s first prototype.
In the coming years, more companies are likely to enter the market as flying cars become more viable, and there are many companies working on making them.